Tuesday 17 January 2017

Chikankari Embroidery

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. Well, I am a living example of this quote. Unlike most of my peers, fabric and the various patterns always fascinated me. So when I decided to pursue Fashion Designing as a course, I had the world around me surprised, mocking and mostly against the idea. However, I took the plunge against the tide and here I am, a design student following my heart and enjoying every minute of my first year college life. The best part of my college is my technical inputs class in which we are taught stitching, pleats, etc. It is amazing how we can experiment with fabric and come up with beautiful and never-seen-before patterns.

Well, we got an assignment in our college in which we have to do research on different art and craft, design movements, tribal and folk art. To help us in the assignments our college took us for the trips to the Craft and Handloom Museum and Delhi Haat, where I saw and got to know about new things like Warli Paintings, Patachitra paintings, Russian dolls and I even saw fashion accessories made up of sea shells.

Well in all these topics the thing that took my attention was "Chikankari Embroidery", because I had enough knowledge to choose it but not enough to call myself well versed with this craft. As a fashion student, I would love to explore and try new things with chikankari as we are vanishing our traditional art and craft , why not to explore and try new things with our old traditional art and craft.
As I am from Lucknow and Lucknow is the main center of Chikankari, I would love to do experiments with it and will try to make it look funky as well as retain its classic look.

I have created this blog to help people to know about why our tradition is important to us and to share my journey experience of this module.

If Chikankari excites you like it does to me, please drop by and don't forget to share any tit bits you have about it. 


Chikankari Embroidery 

No comments:

Post a Comment